PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Q&A.
Thread: Aircrew Q&A.
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2003, 15:33
The Swinging Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
left one o clock

Interesting comments there, not sure I would agree with them entirely however, but....

ask yourself this one question.........
if it is such a GOOD life, and if the pay (as you say) is FAIR, and if its as challenging and interesting as you say, how come NO ONE wants to do it? There is your answer I fear

I wouldn't complain about the pay - other than FP (which we all know we got screwed on again recently) but come on, be realistic - challenging? interesting? on an E-3D? Yeh, sure, when the muck and bullets are flying it is moderately more 'exciting' but thats about it. Down at 200' in a Nimrod, yep that interesting also. But thats about it.

And FCs are NOT given higher status than AEOps? what are you on? There is no doubt whatsoever, that Fighter Controllers (NCO or otherwise) are given infinately more respect and status than any AEOp will EVER be given on an E-3D.

The only thing I agree with you on is SAR, where thank goodness, you ARE respected, and where the job IS interesting, rewarding and satisfying. Can't comment on Nimrods - so long ago now, they are a distant blur!

Good luck what ever you choose Argo, but if I had my time again, I would go for Loadie! - yes Loadie. More aircraft to fly, more interesting job I'm certain of, and being more of an (important) team member.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey

ps Caruthers says 'whats wrong with being a lawyer?'