PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains responsibility
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 06:43
Cmon-PullUP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiny side down

I'm so glad it is a clear case, black and white. I'll relate a tale from a few years back.

We had a passenger on board who was asthmatic, and was having difficulties breathing. The passenger in question was travelling home as part of a football team. The senior contacted the flight deck, expressed concerns about the passenger's health, and demanded a diversion.
We were expected by SOP to contact the company's medical service first (albeit we still had the choice to divert immediately if we deemed it necessary). We asked for some basic information about the patient/pax to pass along to the medical folks on the end of our HF patch.
The senior grew more and more anxious, as 'the passenger was turning blue, and they (cc) were giving oxygen'.
The time to diversion was about the same as reaching destination at this point.
The senior continued to demand a diversion.
We landed at destination ultimately, after getting a 'direct to'.
The ambulance met the aircraft, and the paramedics came on board to see to the patient.

The senior was furious.
The plane was offloaded.
The senior was then presented with a clear view of his previously 'terminal passenger' attempting to light up a cigarette, while hoisting one heavy kit bag over her shoulder, and disagreeing with ramp staff about smoking on the apron.

I then asked the senior if he still thought that we should have diverted for that passenger?

I'd hestitate to call the BA/anaphylaxis case black and white, as we simply weren't there, and we likely do not have all of the information that was available to the crew, the doctor on board, or the family.

- So you will rather be "Sorry than safe"???
Having said that, as I read your post above, you actually wanted to divert(?) but decided it was the same time to destination as to a diversion alternate. (??) If that is the case, it will normally be faster to get a high speed straight-in to the destination, as all should already be set up and prepared for that.

But for me, yes, if someone cannot breathe and the crew is unable to improve the situation, I divert. My company is 100% behind this as well, so not really a difficult decision. LH is a different kettle of fish.