PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2003, 07:50
karrank

Mostly Harmless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Directed Traffic Information to remain in all class 'G' airspace.
This is a more serious "choke" point than some of you may realise.

I have huge problems with the concept of providing some services to flights in G, yet pretending known traffic information is not relevant. Let alone the farcical concept of providing traffic information (somehow) in the terminal area, but nowhere else... I don't see how I would be able to justify this before an inquest. The consideration all ATC need to have when providing services mandated by those responsible (as does anybody providing ANY sort of service where your decisions affect the outcomes of others) is whether a decision was that of a reasonable person.

The only way such a concept would be acceptable to me as an ATC is if aircraft specifically opt out, or those mandated to recieve no traffic info are also receiving no other services from me. Especially in view of this quote from FAA 7110.65, the goober's MATS:

Unless an aircraft is operating within Class A airspace or omission is requested by the pilot, issue traffic advisories to all aircraft (IFR or VFR) on your frequency when, in your judgment, their proximity may diminish to less than the applicable separation minima. Where no separation minima applies, such as for VFR aircraft outside of Class B/Class C airspace, or a TRSA, issue traffic advisories to those aircraft on your frequency when in your judgment their proximity warrants it.
This is all quite apart from the concept of what service the goober ATC actually PROVIDE seems to be greatly in excess of that mandated, example follows:

Parachuting in E airspace