PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains responsibility
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2018, 16:58
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerosine

The captain must have had some very strong reasoning not to divert into Chateauroux, Dijon, Lyon, St Etienne, Clermont Ferrand etc etc. Perhaps he wasn't told of the severity of her condition? Perhaps there were TS/CBs elsewhere?

I don't suspect we'll see all the details.
I suspect we’ll get enough eventually. With reference why he/she didn’t divert into XXX or YYY we as yet only have one account of timings and no evidence yet from the crew as to what they perceived and how communications were handled so maybe it would be wise to hang fire on questioning why the captain didn’t immediately divert into somewhere enroute. I guess one possibility is that by the time the captain was made fully aware of the gravity of the situation it is possible they were approaching TOD for NCE anyway, but that is just speculation on my part. I suspect all will become more clear when he/she gives evidence to the coroner...and as you say we haven’t even had the METARs or TAFs or NOTAMs yet...

(I’ll just add and state the blindingly obvious - having seen something serious and life threatening on a Longhaul Flight these situations aren’t always as straight forward as some Monday morning quarterbacks like to think..We were strongly advised by medics to overfly the nearest alternate to get to somewhere else with much better facilities that were much more likely to save life.....now that would have looked like an odd one in the press or to a coroner until explained).

edit to add update from The Evening Standard here:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/p...-a3945466.html

Last edited by wiggy; 25th Sep 2018 at 17:31.