PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PBN required for the Military
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 19:40
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlasticCabDriver

I didn't think you could nominate a destination alternate based solely on an RNAV procedure? You need a conventional approach in order to nominate an airfield as a diversion, although you may still do an RNAV procedure once you get there.

Or I may have that completely wrong. It’s not unknown.
you shouldnt plan on GNSS at both primary and diversion in case of a non redundant system fault in the space segment, i believe. Certainly if you have FDE capability.

For flight planning purposes, TSO-C129( ) and TSO-C196( ) equipped users (GPS users) whose navigation systems have fault detection and exclusion (FDE) capability, who perform a preflight RAIM prediction at the airport where the RNAV (GPS) approach will be flown, and have proper knowledge and any required training and/or approval to conduct a GPS-based IAP, may file based on a GPS-based IAP at either the destination or the alternate airport, but not at both locations. At the alternate airport, pilots may plan for applicable alternate airport weather minimums using:
  1. Lateral navigation (LNAV) or circling minimum descent altitude (MDA);
  2. LNAV/vertical navigation (VNAV) decision altitude (DA), if equipped with and using approved barometric vertical navigation (baro-VNAV) equipment;
  3. RNP 0.3 DA on an RNAV (RNP) IAP, if they are specifically authorized users using approved baro-VNAV equipment and the pilot has verified RNP availability through an approved prediction program.

Last edited by VinRouge; 23rd Sep 2018 at 20:43.