PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kipper Fleet targets
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 17:52
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I’m not sure about the programme, it seems a little too disjointed to enable the viewer to gain an accurate picture of the timeline of the development and progress in Cold War ASW. I’m not sure what the Wg Cdr in No 1s using a brass letter opener as pointer added to the story either! I bet the RN selected that bit.

To gain a better appreciation does require some effort and those without an ASW background they may wish to start with Padfield’s War Beneath The Sea which provides a pretty good overview of the development of submarine and ASW tactics to the end of the Second World War. Jinks and Hennessy’s The Silent Deep takes over where Padfield ends with an account of RN submarine operations post 1945. Jinks and Hennessy make it clear that for considerable periods, RN submarines lacked a reliable and effective ASW torpedo and I shall be interested if any mention is made of that on the tv programme. Mind you, I was never quite certain how effective the Mk 46 would have been, particularly towards the end of its service life.

YS