PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ - Joint List
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2018, 23:32
RubberDogPoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brakerider

The company, and effectively NZALPA by refusing jet positions to people without Jet time (externally). Apparently P3 SO Time is worth more than Dash command.
Quite the circular/misunderstood discussion this huh? Is it your contention that all pilots external to the AirNZ group are required to have jet time Brakerider? Is it your contention that the Propstar pilots were usurped by Cathay S/Os (Cadet S/Os at that)?

I’m not really sure where NZALPA fits into your statement... Shouldn’t you be happy that the COMPANY REQUIREMENT for external (read: overseas applicants) pilots to not only have the right to live and work in NZ, but are required to leap through the additional hurdle of having jet time? Doesn’t this protect jobs in New Zealand? (ergo, isn’t this something that NZALPA should support?) Do you have any recent example of a Cathay S/O being hired ahead of those with Dash commands?
The most recent hires from Cathay are widebody commands, and F/Os. The last S/Os hired as I recall were a couple of years back, and had some of that pesky fast jet, and tanker/AWACS time. Do you think their experience should be discounted for a Dash command? I am unaware of any Cathay cadet that has been hired EVER (think more F18, less Tomahawk...) Maybe you’ve got the wrong end of the stick?

As for:
To offer these guys interviews, tell them they were successful but unable to offer a position was a real kick in the teeth
Isn’t that what always goes on? Do an interview, get a “Yes” letter (though they have never actually said that), and then wait for a course? Some guys waited 6 months, some 4 years....
Sounds to me more like the unintended consequence of having to hire 70:30 - they simply have to put link pilots in ahead of non-group pilots (to make the distinction between locals and ex-pats) to maintain the ratio right now.

Last edited by RubberDogPoop; 17th Sep 2018 at 04:03.