PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-7
Thread: Birmingham-7
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2018, 09:40
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baggage

Originally Posted by sixchannel
Met some UK friends at BHX yesterday afternoon from a L O N G SYD - DBX - BHX haul.
EK39 arrived 30 mins early which i thought was great BUT why does it take 90 minutes to get luggage?
Is there a developing problem at the airport?
In 10 mins of the A380 landing, there were also 2 Jet2 arrivals, 2 TUI, and 2 Flybee. Maybe BHX s at max capacity now and can't cope any more.
Depends on who you ask: -

Airport Management - no Problem
Passengers - big Problem

This is an irritation to a lot of enthusiast using BHX as arrivals seems to be the Cinderella of areas when it comes to investment and it appears it is not restricted to BHX in the UK but there seems to be a consistent approach from many - if you have any money spend it on shops (occasionally stands) to get the money in (also means security to get the pax through quickly) but it does smack of a couldn't care less attitude. The counter argument would be large baggage areas in winter when traffic decreases cost to heat and light but I would call that an occupational hazard and if necessary close area off in winter - used 10 belts instead of 15 (fantasy).

BHX arrivals has been way too small for about 5 years and the next bout of expansion doesn't seem to address this but I could be wrong. Baggage was mentioned in the press release but I got the impression it is baggage sorting area that is expanding. However you can have the smartest, biggest, state of the art arrivals area but without the staff to get the bags from the plane to the belt it is all a waste of time.

I know some would say it is up to the Airport Management to pressurize the handlers to employ the staff but it is not as easy as that as we all know and I am sure Emirates will have something to say if this continues but unsurprisingly you are not the first to mention this during the summer. I arrived at BHX in July on EK37 and incredibly we were the only arrival at that time on a Saturday and the crew bags arrived as we got to the belt and the rest not long after but still between 30 and 45 minutes but acceptable.

Personally I would hang the expense and go for it but there again it is not my money. However cramped arrivals areas are a bad first impression for arriving non-UK passengers (let alone home based ones) but as I said you need to sort the handling issues out first which is a really emotive subject at BHX and I for one will refrain from trashing the baggage handlers as they appear to be constantly under pressure.

By the way BHX will be back in growth next summer with 11 based Jet2 in high summer, 9 TUI all summer and despite the transatlantic gloom the arrivals experience area is only going to get worse.
Pete