PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight from London U.K. to Calgary diverted to Iqaluit
Old 14th Sep 2018, 20:33
plhought

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
Aren't about 2,000 of those people "Guests of the State"? The territorial prison is located in Iqaluit...
When we arrived for the 747-8 engine tests, it was 11pm when we got to the hotel - and none of us had eaten since lunch (the test 747 was a freighter and could only carry 10 people - the rest of us arrived on a chartered regional jet - we had to stop for gas 3 times to get there from Everett). The only place in town that was open was a Pub, and they stopped serving food 10pm.
You guys need to look in the little phone book every once a while! 'Snack Y2K' is the 24 food service in Iqaluit. It's honestly the best roast chicken meal I've ever had in my life. They deliver 24 hours. The key to being up north is never be afraid to ask. The cabbies usually can get yeah a meal of some sort for a reasonable fee any time. With a little planning and calling ahead as well, the Frobisher (where I suspect you stayed) will cater to flight crews after 10pm. We'll they did for us.

The 'guests' aren't usually counted in census' as local residents, but rather their addresses from where they live. Mind you, the majority of them are of no fixed address in Iqaluit.