PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:52
glad rag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melmothtw
EU Commissioners are not elected, correct, but they are fully accountable to the EU Parliament which IS democratically elected. Also, every EU member state is represented in the Council of Ministers.

If absolute democracy is the issue, perhaps the royal family that constitutes a branch of our own government should be elected?
I have edited my post to make it as clear as possible.
As for accountability, REALLY...melmothtw...

https://www.politico.eu/article/euro...ut-not-for-me/

One year after European Parliament President Antonio Tajani pledged to bring greater transparency to how MEPs are compensated for expenses, the noble process ended with a loud thump on the parliamentary floor.
Last night, the 15 members of the Parliament’s governing body — a group that included Tajani — voted down measures that would have increased oversight of the so-called General Expenditure Allowance, a fund intended to be used by MEPs to pay for offices and other expenses.
The institution’s 751 MEPs receive €4,416 a month on top of their salaries for expenses, as a lump sum, tax free. This adds up to nearly €200 million in taxpayer money per parliamentary term. These funds are intended to be spent for professional not personal reasons, but MEPs are not required to retain any records or disclose how the money is spent.
Tajani and his colleagues voted against making it mandatory for MEPs to keep receipts of their expenditures — something any business, organization or association has to do for tax reasons, if nothing else.

..really melmothtw...REALLY!

Last edited by glad rag; 14th Sep 2018 at 12:19.