PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ - Joint List
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2018, 10:42
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KiwiAvi8er

The perception that someone hasn’t done the hard yards in GA doesn’t quite ring true. The current crop in their 20’s might have done fewer years in GA, but they’ve still worked in GA. The exception to that being cadet pilots with 320 ratings. So, you may be fortunate enough to time getting in to the job market alongside a growth period. I’d imagine if you were to start flight training in a few years time, there’s a good chance that your training costs will be covered. Somethings got to change to fix the supply line.

In terms of “least qualified” to fly for Air NZ, by that logic CX SO’s must be vastly superior candidates to a turboprop skipper with all that jet time. Get a grip!! Take the job off the pedestal for a moment and look who they can put straight in to a jet in Europe.

FYI the latest external Air NZ job listing no longer had jet time as a prerequisite. ATO time will suffice. The pool of externals has been depleted obviously with the rapid growth. When you say externals are more qualified we aren’t talking about Sully, Maverick and Goose lining up to fly an Airbus with a Koru on it these days.

The sooner the patronising propaganda line that a GOP list is going to disadvantage Link Pilots ends the better. For a start, if every course vacancy is filled via a GOP list (which includes the RSL at the bottom) then movement on to jet will be much quicker. At the moment there is a sense of rush to get on the list, to maximize your earning potential at the latter stage of your career. The rush would no longer be there and you could enjoy a decent career in regional and move on at a time that suits.

You might have your reasons to oppose the GOP list which are valid. But the ‘Jet boys’ looking out for our best interests isn’t one of them

Bolded: I'm not sure what you hope to achieve by twisting my words. Least qualified doesn't imply Regional Pilots cant do the job. Many of the externals we hired were already type rated on our Aircraft or similar types. We ran shortened courses for Jetstar Pilots to help alleviate the A320 crewing crises, and (unlike Euro Airlines), our A320 course was designed for existing Air NZ Pilots and not a "first Jet" course. I believe they have since modified it and/or added an extra 2 weeks for T-Prop Pilots to transition. And for what it's worth, yes, a Cathy Cadet if hired as an SO would be "more qualified" as they have experience operating in that environment.

I'm not sure why Link Pilots get so offended when someone points out that existing Jet Pilots are more qualified to fly Jets. With hundreds of former Link Pilots at Air NZ, it's obvious you're perfectly capable, but, in times of expansion, it just makes sense to bring in some more external experience. It also makes very little sense robbing Paul to pay Peter (i.e. grounding Regional A/C to Crew the Jets).

But lets talk about putting Air NZ on a pedestal for a moment... all this fuss about a job at Air NZ when almost every Airline in the South Pacific is hiring. Who's really putting on the pedestal here?

As for for the last comment about "Jet boys" not looking out for your best interests, well, I guess time will tell. If you're near to Top of the RSL, then I suppose it's hard to see the negatives and no one will convince you otherwise. Those at the bottom might not see at first, but when they realize no amount of hard work will get them any closer to an interview, they might not be so enthusiastic. Plenty of Link pilots who took quick commands due to past experience and/or less desirable bases landed Air NZ interviews out of seniority. Some might not agree with that, but I for one am not among them.

Don't be in such a rush to have the rest of your career dictated by Seniority. It's both a blessing and a curse.

Last edited by ElZilcho; 14th Sep 2018 at 10:56.