PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Quality of your Instruction…
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2003, 16:15
The Phoenix Rises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

Well this thread has got a few comments in it now! I have a few replies… It’s now the 11th; I’m answering posts from as far back as 7th!! Apologies.

FlyingForFun: 7/10

The concept of my being invited to consider a ‘go/no-go decision’ at that time was certainly not part of the picture of my tuition then. Perhaps it should have been! But I wasn’t at that level of confidence, and anyway I just wanted to fly. It takes me an hour to drive to this airfield, and once there I like to get in as much as I can.

Your other point about communications, yes I agree. It would certainly help me a lot if one Instructor knew what the other had been doing.

In Altissimus: 7/10

Wow, your first solo landaway and first navex was your QXC?! For whatever reasons, right or wrong, that’s impressive! My QXC was, though, my second solo navex, but my first solo landaway.

I am thinking again about the changing of schools. As I have said, I am going to talk to the CFI…

Wcollins: 7/10

A little more clarity about what a QDM is, how it is measured and provided, compared to the triangulation service offered by D & D might help someone who has already been confused.
Hear! hear!

Genghis the Engineer: 7/10

For my first solo navex (para #1 of my first posting) I had done none of the exams. For my QXC, I had Air Law but not the others you mentioned. And as I mentioned above, this CB stuff was no part of a go/no-go test. And as you say, even if it had been, the FI should have not let me fly.

Chipmunk2: 7/10

I think that’s the thing, isn’t it - one thinks that the Instructor knows better than the Student.

I am going to tackle the CFI about this. Personally I think he has to bear some of the blame - after all the tuition is supposed to be under his overall direction, I assume. As for the CAA, I will wait to see the outcome of my chat.

Northern Highflyer: 7/10

A short field landing during your skills test, and you hadn’t been shown one? Were you flying out of my school…?!

I don’t see why you should have to be made to feel guilty over changing instructor for your IMCR. One presumes that if your first instructor had been thorough, you would have been happy to stay with him.

Whirlybird: 7/10

Thanks.

I can see now, because of all of the postings, that the experiences I have had have been pretty bad. I thought the quality of my instruction was bad; but I didn’t actually know it was bad - and certainly not how bad. There is a big difference. This was why I posted this thread.

And I guess I can see that because this is such a bad thing to have had happened, a couple of people don’t believe it. That’s their choice. I have sent you a pm btw.

Well, I have now done my QXC without the use of the radio nav aids too! I still feel it would have been nice to have known what a QDM is and how to use one. And if the instruction is this bad and one has to look out for oneself all the more and not be so trusting of the abilities of the Instructors, then I personally felt that Students should know about the nav aids before the QXC - just in case.

You make another very good point - it’s hard to know what you don’t know. I will work on your suggestion.

drauk:

I think it would be more appropriate to deal with the club first and let them hear my complaints. And thank you, yes all I had done up to that point was to give merely the facts of what took place. Not opinions. That was precisely my intention. It was the opinions of others that I was after. I already know mine.

Now to the 8/10…! But a little break and, sadly, some work first… But just one more thing.

I am compiling a list of things that have happened to me at this school, in preparation for my talk with the CFI. I have another question to which I don’t know the answer. Now I know I am going to get a major amount of flak here and be shot down in flames by some who have read my postings in disbelief, but in spite of them, here it is!

At 4,000 feet across the channel, in a PA28… If one of the fuel caps on the wing were to come off - what would be likely to happen? Nothing? The fuel in that wing would be pulled out? A disaster in the making, or nothing too serious?

Thanks everyone.

TP