PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-7
Thread: Birmingham-7
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2018, 10:24
ATNotts

Received 305 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by FQTLSteve
ATNotts Very quick reply, cheers. I must say it did make me think likewise. So it looks bleak with no transatlantic services for the time being, there might well be a long wait ahead for any potential services if at all, apart from the TUI and Thomas Cook type of flights, not been at all good for BHX since last year. The tunnel seems vey long when comparing to other UK airports, as I've said before there are IMO far too many gaps now even on European services, key destinations remain unserved again for 2019 it would appear. The route development team have a lot of work to do I think, but they should have done better with such a wide and large catchment area and excellent transport links. Fingers crossed.
To be honest, if you take the London airports out of the equation (and we know London is a honeypot for TATL services) BHX is in good company when it comes to English airports without direct trans atlantic services. I'm struggling to think of any, apart from for Manchester that do now, with Transat having retrenched to London and Manchester, and not only BHX but also NCL and BRS having lost their direct services to the USA. In Scotland GLA is hanging on, EDI being the real pull in Scotland, and Cardiff - well unless a ship load of Welsh tax payers cash is thrown at an operator, they're not likely to see services anytime soon.

We just have to accept that a) the UK is essentially London Centric, and b) BHX is too close to London and Manchester; and has too little demand for front end passengers.