PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair FO faints in flight
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2018, 18:44
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I am astonished at the way this thread has developed. My briefest lines of thought.

Have you EVER fainted? A very significant question in the early medical forms.

16 hour days with a captain that ran on beer, cigarettes and a greasy breakfast in the Pax hotel Rotterdam. Ring a bell any of you SEN guys in the early 60's?

Oh, that brings back a memory. Our hard-working girl (singular) and the 40-odd passengers we managed to get in a DC3. I hid her collapsed body behind the radio rack, though the passengers were not fooled judging by their popping eyeballs. Still, my captain had flown over the hump in Burma, with the scenery going by under his feet due to lack of aircraft skin. No sympathy from him. No fainting allowed by the ones up front.

What you put in your sandwiches??!! Oh, FFS, get real. No water for 12 hours, okay, that would be tedious, but you would be too feeble-minded to be a pilot because of lack of balls. No food for say, 10, and you pass out? You need to know the reason. Fever? Fine, just being human. Food poisoning? Valid stuff. Tummy a bit empty? This is where you walk into the boss' office and let him know what snot-spraying rage is about. Or, you prove your questionable worth by handing your over-mayonnaised sandwiches to security . . . only to find them eating them when you happen to backtrack to your ops for a forgotten document. Yes, it happened, and if I'd been that crew member, it's likely I'd have needed the services of Flying Lawyer.

If you faint, something is wrong. It may be very minor but all interested parties need to know why it happened - the functioning of the two brains up front is akin to neurological ETOPS. Collar too tight? It's like swooning because your seat is not comfy. You don't notice when you turn your head that your neck is being restricted? Oh for you as a judo opponent. Have you any idea how well the jugular and carotid(s) are protected?

I doubt the authorities will just shrug and let this by. I wish they would, it would be heartbreaking to think of a licence being lost for anything but the clearest of reasons, but when half the main processing power of an airliner is switched off, everyone needs to know precisely why.