PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Quality of your Instruction…
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2003, 04:47
Maxflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No axe to grind, nobody to insult. Just to say I had several instructors - found it beneficial. I wasn't allowed to solo until I had passed Met' and Air Law. Wasn't allowed to go on my QXC until I had passed my R/T.

I was taught that go/ no go decisions were down to me. I waited seven months to go on my QXC. I religiously booked a triple slot each week and each week I didn't go because of bad wx. I would discuss the likelihood of my flight with my FI and the CFI. I'm glad I did it that way. The only downside was, I flew the route dual in September 02 and finally did it solo in April 03. During that time I had lost familiarity with the route.

I don't need to read between the lines of previous posts to know that I am not a natural born pilot, but I do feel that my school has enabled me to be a safe pilot. I am glad they applied the belt and braces approach with my training.

As for Radio Nav Aids; I didn't get taught to use them fully until after my QXC. Had I struggled I would have used 121.5 and looked for a diversion. I felt I had enough to concentrate on that day as it was.

I got my PPL in May 03 in a Robin HR200. I'm now converting to a Warrior and know that I have a lot to learn still.

That's my input.

Oh yes! I think WWW has made very good points, albeit in a slightly caustic and amusing way.

Hope the Moderator doesn't bin the thread. It makes a change from all things pink popping up all of the time