PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air present working conditions
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2018, 16:10
PhantomPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninjapilot.2014
----------------

Hi,
My motivations and desires match the original post almost identically. I was wondering if you maybe could copy and paste the information regarding EVA you sent to the original poster? This forum reflects basically everything I've heard about Asia in general, but from what I've heard through the grapevine is that EVA is recently becoming one of the better expat airlines in Asia. I've been talking to a recruiter at APAS about EVA for about 6 months and of course it's all roses from his perspective but if you have some actual EVA specific information from the inside I'd appreciate it a lot. Every forum I read ends up turning into a generalized explanation of Asia in general which at this point isn't helpful. I'm young, single, motivated, ready to live abroad, and I'm already generally used to being abused .

Other than general working conditions info, one question in particular I had was about applying to the airline without going through a recruiter. My recruiter is good but very slow. I see there is a portal for applying directly on the company website. Is this something you would recommend? Is it faster? Also is EVA in a position that were I to apply at, say, 300 jet time versus the 500 required, that they would possibly accept my application at least to get the ball rolling? My recruiter says not, but I am sort of thinking hes being told to tell people no. If the Asian carriers are half as desperate as the US carriers I'm sort of wondering if they'd still give me a pre-emptive interview and a conditional offer with less than the minimus which is sort of turning into the norm in the US.

Thank you for your time
Chris
APAS, EVA Air and Taiwan are probably the best trio in SE Asia. I've been happily living there for more than 3 yrs and have more positive than negative things to say. The Agency is pretty good and since it's Taiwan based is always there for you.
Taiwan is really peaceful, safe and cheap. Food is great and you can get pretty much anything you need here. There is Costco! People are nice and try to help the expat when you look lost and they also have a high percentage of English speaking people. I've had janitors from the mall speak to me in English. Great roads and 7-11's everywhere
Eva Air has changed it's attitude and now there is less punitive actions towards flight events. FOQA data is not used to punish honest mistakes. Initial Training is tough but Recurrent now are EBT type (not PC type) and focus more on being a learning exercise than a punitive you-lost-150ft-on-a-steep-turn kinda thing from the past. I actually enjoy going to the Sim and find it a great learning experience.
Roosters are ok, good rest, Commuting contract and if you bring your family they'll give you outside housing.
As far as your hours, I've heard that you can probably start the application and maybe get an interview and once you get the hours you'll get invited for training (if you passed everything previously).
I'm not from the US so cannot tell you how it compares to your country. I cannot say if this will be better for you but you should give it a try. Eva will send you a ticket and give you a room for the 5 day screening so you have nothing to loose. Good Luck.