PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew Q&A.
Thread: Aircrew Q&A.
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2003, 23:27
Argo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Aircrew Q&A.

Dear PPRuNe' ers

Are there any SNCO AEOps (in old money) or those 'in the know' who could advise an old guy with a career question. I realise that posting on this site can be hazardous, but I'd be grateful for serious responses only.

Basically, I'm 33 and working as a government lawyer (undergrad degree in law and postgrad degree in international relations) and am seriously contemplating a career change to flying. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time. However, my interest has always been military flying. I recently did the RAF Cranwell flying aptitude tests with the GAPAN (www.gapan.org for those interested) and scored 'High' (top 10%, I'm advised). Whilst I am way too old for Pilot in the RAF/RN, I am genuinely very interested in the career of an SNCO AEOp, and I am aware that this is still open to me (RAF advise that one can apply up to and including 34). Whilst I realise this is not flying in the front seat sense, I am still intrigued by the prospects. I should add that I used to be commissioned in the Army, but left for the law and marriage (which put the brakes on flying for the military!).

I should be interested to hear what anyone with useful advice thinks the RAF would make of an application from someone with the above bits and pieces.

I greatly look forward to any useful thoughts and comments. Please feel free to PM me.

Sincerely yours
Argo

Last edited by Argo; 10th Oct 2003 at 23:44.