PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training of low hour pilots in airlines
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2003, 20:22
FlyMD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To start making your life simpler, just look at the problem from another point of view: what do these low-hour, stream-lined cadets bring that your experienced direct-entry FO does not? Most of the time the answer is that the cadets are much more "streamlined" in terms of company procedures, call-outs, SOP and so on... They never did anything different, and don't have to "forget" another way of flying.
So I guess I'm trying to say: reduce your work-load by demanding absolute perfection on such matters as mentioned above (they have had time to learn it, and should be motivated enough to have crammed the book), and leaving you capacity to concentrate on the basics, such as descent planning, scanning, flare and landing....
I was such a 1-year-wonder cadet not very long ago, and had a LOT to learn when starting on the MD80 with 250 hours total... But the big help was that during my whole sponsorship program, SOPs, briefings, and scanning systematics were consistent with an airliner. So my training captains did NOT tolerate any deficiencies in wording, call-outs and such, and instead could concentrate with me on the "flying"...
Still, it's a HUGE step for a cadet to do in a very short time, and I would not want to do it the same way again...