PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Utair runway excursion upon landing, in Sochi, Crimea,
Old 1st Sep 2018, 20:10
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-800’s does seem to show up more often when it comes to overruns.
Why? I has a high approach speed. You need to land it where it is supposed to be landed, at the correct speed, or it will eat runway like few other aircraft. Under adverse conditions you need to maintain positive stopping efford all the way until it stops. If you use autobrakes and disconnect them, the system will need time to start braking again if you brake manually. This is really an issue on contaminated runways.
If you use high reverse and unreverse quickly, you will get positive thrust when the reversers stow.
An maybe it is flown by a lot of P2F and low experienced pilots? I flew with one of our new, low hour pilots. Flying is so easy, he said. Well, yes, AP B CMD, push som buttons, and you can fly from A to B in LNAV/VNAV. Easy!
But landing 60 something tons of 737 on a contaminated runway in adverse weather conditions is a difficult as it always has been.
The flat attitude on approach with the -800 make it very easy to end up high when you get close to the runway. The tendency is to raise the nose a bit to get into a more familiar «nose high»attitude. I still do this from time to time and need to maintain forward pressure to get back on profile.
I am never shy about using AB 3 on a dry runway, or max on a contaminated runway.
I also fly -700. Easy aircraft compared to the -800.

I treat the -800 with the respect it deserves and have never had any close calls, despite flying it into some really interesting places with limited runway lengths and bad weather.

Last edited by ManaAdaSystem; 1st Sep 2018 at 20:31.