PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan starts to hire non-JCAB DEC
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2018, 07:11
jrmyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fratemate
What absolute rot! The number of pilots (captain or FO) that didn't make it through training when we took non-JCAB DECs is no different to it is now. 80% is complete and utter nonsense and just a fabricated figure. I cannot think of one person that failed in the courses before or after me. We all know the reason guys don't get through is because of attitude, rather than ability. Everyone with an ounce of common sense knows this before they join and shouldn't attempt to do so if they can't just shut their mouths, nod and do it the way the Japanese want it done. I'm not saying their way is right (far from it, in fact) but when in Rome.....JCAB checkers don't give a damn how you got to be there and certainly never appeared biased either way when DECs were previously brought in.

For goodness sake!! If that is your attitude then you are in the minority and just smacks of a childish attempt to scare away potential DECs. Really quite pathetic. Co-pilots speak their mind exactly the same as they do in any other country. There is no sudden transformation to an over-bearing FO just because he's come to AJX. Any DEC will be used to dealing with the same mind-speaking FOs elsewhere and your comment is just nonsense. If the co-pilot turns out to be unsupportive (which I can guarantee wouldn't happen) then it is he who is going to end up with the problem, not the DEC.
I had 2 DEC's in my new hire class. 1 passed and 1 failed. The failure was definitely not ability or attitude. He was very competent and had a great attitude. Studied more than anyone in the course. His problem was he was a non-native English speaker and the Japanese had a hard time understanding him in the cockpit. That is is. They decided that he would not be able to communicate with the f/o during a flight. That was rubbish.

As far as f/o's having a problem with DEC's, that is crap. If you are an f/o here then you should know that DEC's will have no bearing on your advancement in this company. So there is no reason for an f/o to be "speaking their mind" about anything other than what is going on in the flight. Just as if you were with any other captain. Seriously, grow up. (not you frate, I know you are already old.)