PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan starts to hire non-JCAB DEC
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2018, 01:40
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am no apologist for the Company but there is certainly some duff information flying around here (and on the main AJX thread) and clearly from some people who weren't even around when non-JCAB licenced DECs were last hired.

There has been scaremongering that FOs will have commands delayed etc. This never happened previously, so why should it happen again? Unlike other airlines, AJX does not seem to care if it has an abundance of captains versus FOs. Look at the make-up of manpower in AJV and realise that it was almost all captains. Since they don't have a quota and have already indicated to the GLs that upgrades will continue as they always have, then it will make no difference at all to FOs whether DECs are brought in (again) or not. We will simply end up with more captains than FOs....which Scheduling likes as they have more flexibility with rostering.

AJX tried DEC non-JCAB before. The failure rate was over 80%. JCAB checkers are not keen on passing guys who have not come up through the system.
What absolute rot! The number of pilots (captain or FO) that didn't make it through training when we took non-JCAB DECs is no different to it is now. 80% is complete and utter nonsense and just a fabricated figure. I cannot think of one person that failed in the courses before or after me. We all know the reason guys don't get through is because of attitude, rather than ability. Everyone with an ounce of common sense knows this before they join and shouldn't attempt to do so if they can't just shut their mouths, nod and do it the way the Japanese want it done. I'm not saying their way is right (far from it, in fact) but when in Rome.....JCAB checkers don't give a damn how you got to be there and certainly never appeared biased either way when DECs were previously brought in.

Any non-JCAB DEC that does pass the training is not going to have a very supportive co-pilot. Co-pilots here speak their minds.
For goodness sake!! If that is your attitude then you are in the minority and just smacks of a childish attempt to scare away potential DECs. Really quite pathetic. Co-pilots speak their mind exactly the same as they do in any other country. There is no sudden transformation to an over-bearing FO just because he's come to AJX. Any DEC will be used to dealing with the same mind-speaking FOs elsewhere and your comment is just nonsense. If the co-pilot turns out to be unsupportive (which I can guarantee wouldn't happen) then it is he who is going to end up with the problem, not the DEC.

DEC’s will have the lowest seniority in the company. They will basically fly the 767 freighter back-of-the-clock until the 767 gets parked in the desert.
That is probably the first sensible thing you've written and will undoubtedly prove true.

The training is 6 months until JCAB check. If, big IF (read point no.1 again) you pass, there is always that pesky little JCAB medical that could change your whole life.
Because FOs promoted to captain from within don't have to do JCAB medicals ? Again, anyone applying as a DEC will have read the main thread and know about the ridiculously long 'training' period. Nobody is denying the totally unrealistic length of training but that is the same for non-JCAB, JCAB DECs and regular non-JCAB FOs. Much in the same way that JCAB medicals apply equally, whether you join as a DEC or not.