PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control column flailing during the flare - a dangerous practice by some pilots.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 18:52
Dan_Brown

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes and so you should, keeping the into wind wing slightly down. Slip into wind. If the into wind wing is slightly raised from level, then you may expect a pod strike on the DW wing. Re: A320 DUS,Germany. D/W wingtip strike.

If you de crab at the last second, or don't attempt to, the main wheels then nose wheels may not contact the concrete, where you want them. I.E., on the C/L. Correct me if I'm wrong, if you aim to land on the C/L but don't, then you don't have full control of the A/C, or do you?

I prefer to gently and gradually begin to cross the controls early. Say 200 to 300 ft gal.at least. I've seen it done, by past masters of early 4 underslung eng, jets. At "max demonstrated" with no side loading on the U/G at touch down. The time and place to hone these skills is on tailwheel aircraft or aircraft on floats. Tailwheel, C of G behind the main wheels and floats, when they hit the water, you're on rails. You go where the floats are pointing.

I am well aware the book and a lot companies don't encourage the above. You have to get it right. However I can't think of anything worse, sitting in an a/c, or watching someone not attempting to decrab and hitting the R/W at high drift angles. The tyre companies love it and so do the A/C manufacturers of course.

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 25th Aug 2018 at 19:05.