PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crowd-sourcing an MH370-Related Flight Database
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 21:42
Wind_Tunnel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crowd-Sourcing a Database for MH370

Greetings!

With the search for MH370 now suspended indefinitely, I'd like to build a database of sourced & verifiable data with which to objectively assess theories of MH370's fate. For example: a theory based on a claim of evidence that "flight XXX passed near MH370 at time hh:mm UTC" is definitively debunked if the database shows no possibility of path intersection. (It makes no sense to me to allow conspiracy theorists to fill the vacuum left by the search's failure; sane people must step up and take a leadership role.)

Data I already have:
1. search ship tracks
2. fixed military radar for a small subset of area of interest (IG paper on D. Steel forum)
3. flight path of MH370 to end of Malaysian SSR coverage (roughly 17:21 UTC)
4. drift model data from a dozen different sources (forward from search zone, reverse from Réunion)

Data I still seek:
1. fixed (& mobile) military radar locations (as at 18:40 UTC on Mar 7, 2014, +/- 1 hour, if mobile) & ranges, for assets under any possible flight path of MH370:
A) "western route": Indonesia eg Sabang, Sibolga, etc. India: eg Baaz aka Campbell Bay, CarNic, etc
B) "southern sub-route" Australia: eg JORN, Christmas Island, Cocos Island US: e.g. Diego Garcia
C) “northern sub-route”: Thailand, India (Hindon, eg), Pakistan, Nepal, China, Afghanistan (Bagram, eg), Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, etc
E) "north-eastern route:" Viet Nam, China, etc
F) AEGIS-equipped destroyers, etc (eg USS Pinckney)
G) aerostat radar systems (eg tethered balloons)
H) radar-equipped fighter jets, etc
I) mobile ground stations

2. flight paths (records giving, at minimum, time, latitude, & longitude) of all flights "in the news":
A) passenger saw debris (MH361, SV2058, etc)
B) used to cloak (SIA68, etc)
C) pilot tried to radio (Narita-bound, 1/2 hour ahead: MH88, JAL750, NH916, NH932, VN950, VN902 (?), THA642 (?), etc; Shanghai-bound: MH386)
D) what witnesses “truly” saw (DQA149, etc)
E) really close to MH370 (MH52, KAL672)

3. Verifiable fuel models/tables sufficiently detailed to compute a firm max range (in nm) for MH370, given known weight, speed & altitude, and fuel on board as at final ACARS transmission (and assuming optimal max-range speed & altitude thereafter)

None of the above categories, subcategories or examples are meant to be exhaustive – just trying to prime the pump with a few examples of what we’re trying to compile, here. If you have other examples of data that could potentially help, please post it.

While I am expecting PPRuNe support to be primarily directed at #2 & #3 in the above list, I will eagerly accept all the help you can supply!

Huge thanks in advance to anyone who can contribute sourced data.

Last edited by Wind_Tunnel; 7th Sep 2018 at 21:14.