PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttleworth Displays - Feedback Required, Please
Old 10th Oct 2003, 02:44
Moondance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The beauty of OW is the timeless nature of the place, so, any changes really should be subtle.The only OW display I got to this year was September's Pageant (thank you the Met Office for such a hopelessly inaccurate forecast, hope it didn't affect numbers). Overall, it was an excellent display. I only have two comments. Firstly, I found the initial part of the Gladiator's display (fully aerobatic) to be unimpressive - too high, and, frankly, I don't enjoy the Collection's aircraft being flown in such a manner. Secondly, I did not enjoy Frank Chapman's barnstorming display in the Chipmunk. It was one of the few occasions in almost 40 years of airshows that I thought I was about to witness an accident - in my view it consisted of spontaneous, aggressive manoeuvres, too close to the ground - had me looking away expecting the worst on a couple of occasions.

These are quibbles really, as OW still has a magic atmosphere that no UK venue can match. It would be nice if some of the aircraft that weren't flying on the day could be rolled out into the sunshine for photography (eg probably unreasonable to expect the Fury replica to fly, but it would have been fab to have it out on the grass parked between the Gladiator and the Hind).

My main complaint at Shuttleworth has been the sales policy. I regard the disposal of Jean Batten's Gull as a heritage crime. The Mew Gull is arguably the most significant surviving British light aircraft and I sincerely hope that one day the Collection may acquire it.