PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training of low hour pilots in airlines
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2003, 01:04
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IHG

Essentially we are now flying in some circumstance Single Pilot IFR in transport category aircraft.
............trouble is, it's even harder than that in many ways 'cos you've got someone distracting you at the same time!

And yes, I agree, the job does become exponentially more difficult.

I've always found you've just got to be 100% aware of the potential for a huge f*%$ - up, and training must always take second place to the overall operation. At the same time, don't be pressured into rushing 'cos the guy is slow - if you're late off stand, so be it.

Very easy for descent planning to go very wrong for example, with the obvious potential for hot and high approaches.

Very low time guys/gals with no jet experience will almost invariably be shy of the ground in the last couple of hundred feet, with a tendency for always reducing the rate of descent and landing deep.

Patience and vigilance definitely the key - and don't assume anything. Had a guy tried to wipe us all out one night - nice ILS in gusty conditions, then totally out of the blue chopped the thrust at about 100' and pushed forward on the stick. Afterwards he said he was scared of floating. I told him I was scared of dying

Anyway, as 411A says, it's a great buzz when you see them starting to gain confidence, skill and consistency.

Good luck.