PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Air Defence - Cold War
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2018, 02:26
MAINJAFAD

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Blinder was generally hated by both its air and ground crews according to stuff that came out after the wall came down, The early Backfires were also not known for their reliability, thus a play on its official designation (All Weather Missile Carrier) becoming a nickname (All Weather Defect Carrier).

Sparrow was never known for its reliability either, though I suspect that the AIM-9G would have done better that the early Sidewinders in Vietnam.

A look through the Aberporth ORB's may give a good idea of how effective the weapons would have been, I did an estimate of Bloodhound Mk 1 based on both the Service Acceptance Trials at Woomera, plus the service Firings at Aberporth, which I was later able to match up to an operational assessment of the System by HQ Fighter Command's Operational Research Branch done after the system was phased out of service in late 1964. My guesstimate and the HQFC figures ended up almost the same with the missile having a SSPK of around 25% for a single missile launch in Semi Active mode and 44% for a two round Salvo. The Missile also had a passive home on jam capability (though the missile couldn't switch between the semi active and passive modes automatically like the Mk 2 could, it had to be launched in one mode or the other). This worked quite well, however the proximity fuze had a nasty habit of spurious firing in flight before reaching the target and in the Semi Active mode a range gate system used normal operation of the guidance system was also used to isolate the warhead firing chain until the missile was close to the target. In the passive mode this range gate was disabled and in 12 firings in passive mode, only once did the fuze not fire before the missile got to the target.