PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Control column flailing during the flare - a dangerous practice by some pilots.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 05:32
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven’t been able to find a common factor yet, although many have come off the FBW Airbus...
The poor technique is apparent in all types; there is not one individual type that creates the issue. It comes from poor instruction and a lack of understanding of the control system and how best to use it. On Airbus FBW types, I often see the stick stirring commencing as soon as the AP is disconnected regardless of what the air around the aircraft is doing. If you ask the guys what they are trying to achieve, the say they are "controlling the aircraft" when in reality the aircraft needs little controlling. The artificial stability of FBW systems largely means that if the aircraft is on the LOC and GS at the right speed when the AP is taken out, it should fly itself to the touchdown point itself with minimal correction. Any unnecessary control movements will only exacerbate the deviations and make the landing problematic in gusty conditions. I have often heard pilots complain about the Airbus control system with comments like "I was moving the stick right against the stops and it still wasn't enough". In this case, they were making demands against the stability system and not giving the aircraft a chance to respond. Probably a good thing as if it had, the aircraft would be deviating drastically. in reality, the A330 is the easiest aircraft to land in a crosswind In my experience. Components of 40 knots present no problems - providing it is flown properly.

A lot of this stems from poor training. I frequently hear pilots talk in terms of using the controls to move the nose up or down, or to roll - whereas what they should be doing is using the controls to select an attitude. It's basic stuff, but with current training systems such as the MPL where pilots can be at the controls of a large jet with less than 100 hours flying experience, the basics are either quickly forgotten as a result having not enough time to consolidate skills, or just not being taught correctly in the first place. We are creating aircraft drivers, not pilots.