PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well paid KLM pilots think about strike: article
Old 20th Aug 2018, 03:19
cactusbusdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ErwinS
Pilots..... God's own creation. 10g net is unbelievable much. What do you think the ground engineer gets a month? If he gets 3000 its a lot. They do the work, 40hrs a week. Weekends, nights. And you guys complain. The arrogance...
Then what are you doing on an aviation web site? Go troll somewhere else. Flying takes a specific set of skills. We get paid what the market allows. It takes a lot of training and a lot of experience to do the job properly. I spent many years slogging around in heavy pistons and turboprops before I had a jet command. And thousands of hours working for a low cost carrier at less than industry standard salary before we were able to merge into a group that finally made big enough profits to pay top rates. Timing and market forces change in this business. You make what you can while you can.

We make a lot more money in the US compared to what EU pilots are making but we don’t have the social benefits that Europeans have. My retirement is based solely on what I put into my 401k savings plan, along with my employers contribution into that same fund. Only in the last few years has that been more than 6%. I fly a jet that carriers over 300 people. I expect to get paid a substantial sum for doing that. That’s the market and that is the job.