PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Air Defence - Cold War
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2018, 17:30
MAINJAFAD

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
Mainjafad. Fascinating, thank you. Not disagreeing with you for a moment. I heard about the buy back of Swedish and Swiss missiles. Now I heard that the missiles sold to them were 100% perfect. Now I heard the Swedes accepted the package on the basis that any modifications deemed essential by us would be incorporated by BAC. The other country accepted them as is.

Clearly it was not the Swedes or they didn't get all the mods.
The modification in question was introduced in the mid 1970s, I suspect the Swedes didn't embody it as they had already decided to can the system and were not going to pay for it. Their is also the possibly that it wasn't considered essential as it's major role was to protect an element of the fuel control system from static discharges (i.e. Lightning Strikes) if the missile was left on the launcher. Seeing that the Swedes used the kit mostly in a deployable role and not in the static role like the Swiss and UK, it is quite possible that was the reason the swedes didn't embody the modification. The UK never bought anything back off the Swiss, They were after more Bloodhound kit as well and they got in first as regards in buying missiles of the Swedes (30 missiles in total) The CONOPS of the system were not all the same for the three nations and each nations system's had specific build standards that were exclusive to themselves.