PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing C&T screw up
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2018, 07:47
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piccadillysquared
Typical. Here’s a serious issue of checker / trainer as well as the airline completely failing in his & its duties, which apart from the legal concerns also has serious cost ramifications, yet most people are more concerned with pecker-measuring about who knows the regs better. Throw in some nationality bashing for good measure too. Ignore the real issues here & bring out the tape measure!

The regs are what they are. End of. How & why this occurred as well as with respect to the current industrial climate should be the topic?! For me it’s another case of administrative & beautocratic blunders lining up like the proverbial Swiss cheese theory, yet you all prefer to argue about brand of Swiss cheese in your sandwiches & who knows best.
Are you really surprised by the meandering of this discussion? As you yourself said in your second post, you stayed away from this forum for many years but although you refrained from posting, I assume you perused the pages occasionally?

My best guess as to why this particular situation came about is that SSIs may not have the same page on Crew Direct that operating pilots have, which highlights recency requirements and licence validity. I standby to be corrected on this as it's speculation on my part. Whatever the case may be, it was both an individual and systemic error that allowed this situation to occur. Perhaps in future, it should be mandated that all candidates check the licence validity of the examiner, to minimise the chance of recurrence? Additionally, perhaps we should all be encouraged to put reminders in our calendars as to when our licence expires? As iceman50 states quite correctly, it is our licence.

STP