PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 414 Down in Santa Ana, California
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2018, 13:17
runway30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadstick126
Absolutely! But think about being in a right turn and the right engine fails. Suddenly you're skidding from the asymmetrical thrust now coming from the left engine. The big four bladed prop on the right engine is inducing severe drag and the airplane becomes very difficult to control. As you start to break into the spin the left engine quits and now you're banked hard right, full left aileron (more drag) and the airplane gives it up and around you go. Recovery is yoke neutral, full left rudder. The airplane is so slick that it would take a couple of thousand feet to stop the rotation and level out. That's test pilot stuff. The average pilot today has very little or no spin training and would likely not react in time to prevent it. Then insufficient altitude for recovery and it's over.
I can’t see that happening if you make the correct rudder inputs which after my twin training became instinctive. On the other hand if you made a steep turn towards the airfield and allowed the speed to bleed off? Just conjecture because we don’t know what happened. I wonder how many twin pilots know their best gliding speed? I think I would have gone for a landing on the 405 freeway as another Cessna twin did last year after experiencing an engine failure after take off.