PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FO‘s expectations of a new Captain
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2018, 10:13
Black Pudding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should the FOs experience, knowledge and thoughts be ignored as is suggested in many posts here (the FO is gear flap operator but only when instructed, wear buttons done up and shave). Should the FO let the captain dig his own holes only to bail him out later? What should the FO do when there really is a good reason to take extra fuel but the captain insists minimum fuel? Should he refuse to operate? Are you going to smack the FOs hand when he can see the approach is becoming massively unstable as he suggests gear? Ignore his calls to go around when you’ve landed too deep on a contaminated wet runway?]
Yorkshire Pudding, hello from Black Pudding over the border in Manchester.

I think you're missing the point. No one is saying suggestions from a FO should be ignored. No one is saying ignore the FOs input on taking extra fuel. Ignore those post, they are trying to throw petrol in the fire on this thread. All that is being said is have a reason. If a FO told me he/she thought we should take extra fuel and gave me a good reason, I'll take as much fuel as needed. If he just wants extra fuel, just to have extra fuel, my CRM comes into play to try and convince him it's not really needed. This is sometimes the biggest task of the day to convince them without making them feel I don't care. I am paid to be responsible to the company and if anyone thinks it's ok to take extra fuel just for the sake taking it, then maybe there're not as professional as they think.

Even though I am a Line Trainer, part of my brief to the FO, safety pilot or trainee is that I can also make mistakes and don't be afraid to speak up and ask what am I doing. The FO is there to make sure I don't make an error and it works both ways. If I mess up, he/she has messed up by not preventing me. Works both ways. I also seek feedback from all colleagues who have been somewhere I have not yet been. I am always learning. I don't know everything. My FO/safety pilot is part of the team. I try to treat them with the respect they deserve and I let them fly as they wish as long as safety is not compromised, a go around is not needed and the company image is not brought into disrepute. I try my best to say nothing and let them fly the sector. I remember very well the number of times I flew when I was a FO and the Captain would keep chirping in "I think you're high" "You need to get down now" As a FO for 8 years, only had one go around because of wind shear and never been unstable, most times a nice CDA onto the G/S. I know what it's like to have a Captain who is nervous and keeps telling you how to fly. It's a pain and is something I try my best to refrain from doing now I am LHS. As mentioned earlier, you may think once you have changed seats from R to L it's easier, it's not. You also have to deal with all sorts in the RHS. Having to keep them on side (making sure I/we don't mess up) means sometimes you have to bite your lip and say nothing. Great thread.