PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 429 crash in China
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2018, 06:45
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
LTE only applies to the older B206 with the small tail rotor, and if it REALLY existed, the bird would emerge from "LTE" after maybe 90 -180 degrees of turn, when the relative winds have changed.

Bell spin from the early 70s, but still propagated today - how sad. Gurgle up Nick Lappos with his post about helicopter urban myths.
its not just old Bell helicopters.
It can happen with bigger newer machines as well, if you are to slow to push the pedal, don‘t push it fast enough far enough and have a high AUM with high DA.
Even Eurocopter has an handout about undemanded yaw, stating, what „mishandling“ leads to - and what you have to do then.
Don‘t make this an discussion about LTE
Analyzing the video you can see reducing the airspeed led to turns, dropping out with a little speed seemed to cure the problem until speed was bleed of again.
For a complete tailor failure the „cure speed“ is way to slow so other causes contributed to this accident.
When I have a little spare time I might look up Nicks Myth, a link would be nice.
But I also have videos in mind, which I have lo look up, where pilots went to close to the performance limits and ****** up, if you call it LTE or not, they were just spinning to the crash...