PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training of low hour pilots in airlines
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2003, 06:48
international hog driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish Training of low hour pilots in airlines

A question for all Line and Training Captains with regard to low time and cadet type pilots.

I am now a training captain myself operating in a multi crew transport category aircraft.
Previously all the ‘training’ I had done was with experienced crews ie: FO’s upgrading to command or new hires that were experienced (thousand hour plus).

Now I (we) find ourselves flying with cadets with fresh licences, how fresh you ask? Lets say sub 300 hours.

Myself and other line captains have found our own jobs have become exponentially more difficult in having to fly and watch the fng like a hawk. Essentially we are now flying in some circumstance Single Pilot IFR in transport category aircraft.

I know that this goes back to the economic decisions of the company and the basic standards or level of competency required to achieve line clearance.

The question is this.

For those skippers that have faced the newbie/cadet level of experience, do you revert to SP IFR skills, and how do you increase your own vigilance when you are pre-occupied with training these crewmembers new to the profession.

IHD