PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice from JET 2 pilots please
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 19:34
Flying Wild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemonk
It is not even a close decision, do the SH command at BA and then come as a direct entry captain. Jet2 Captain in your local base is among the better jobs in the UK at the moment (albeit still significantly underpaid compared to competitors), the same cannot be said of life as an FO/SFO. Yes, you might get a command within 18 months, but you probably will not, it is not a reliable system and the 80% command pass rate quoted above is a company figure that does not hold up to any scrutiny. Reference: I work here.
Yup, I’d definitely support the idea of getting a command elsewhere before coming in as a DEC. The command process is definitely a beast to get through with more obstacles than a tough mudder. Once you’ve finally made it through the command board, it’s fairly plain sailing from then on. It’s the getting there that’s tough. Also, rumours abound that the next command courses aren’t until Dec/Jan and DECs will be coming in before then. If that’s not a morale blow to a prospective command upgradee, I don’t know what is! Also, the FOs I know are getting flogged this summer with a rolling total over 28 days in the 85-95 hour range. Over the years I’ve been at Jet2, the yearly average is steadily increasing.