PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL training not on track
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2018, 11:14
jamesgrainge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parkfell

It can be a quantum leap going from PPL flying to the standard required for the CPL/IR.
The fundamental key to success is accurate TRIMMING. If this was poorly taught during your PPL phase, then this area must be addresses: that, together with good attitude selections, are vital for a successful CPL outcome.

Not knowing exactly what was said in the debrief, it is impossible to be definitive as to how valid the comments were. Possibly the CPL instructor was having a bad day anyway. It does happen.
Anyway, draw a line in the sand:
1. Fly with another CPL instructor ( not necessarily at the same ATO) You might consider speaking to the CFI for guidance as to how to rebuild confidence.
2. Flying on a full time basis whilst completing professional courses is a distinct advantage. You need to completely concentrate on the flying and the briefings. Weekend flying is not the answer. You need to fully immerse yourself in the training.
3. You make no mention of specific instrument flying?
4. Customers often get setbacks. You need a honest opinion as to the likelihood of success. There is nothing worse than continuing, spending the money, only not to achieve. The IR training is even more demanding, but needs the basic bedrock to be in place. ACCURATE ATTITUDE & TRIMMING. Otherwise you are wasting your time.
5. For those who struggle through the CPL/IR and just achieve by the skin of their teeth, the MCC phase can be just an overwhelming experience. A steady or better performance on the modular course is a prerequisite to become an airline pilot.

Some might regard what I have said as less than touchy touchy feely feely. For those who have gone through the MODULAR route may well recognise what I have said. They are well placed to add their advice for those going through the system.
Out of interest, what do you consider inaccurate trimming? As far as I was aware there are only two conditions, one is in trim, where you can fly basically no hands, and the other is out of trim where you can't?

I often trim neutral heading for the runway for flare ease. Recommend or not?

Last edited by jamesgrainge; 24th Jul 2018 at 16:35.