PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should the captain apologise to passengers for bone jarring landing
Old 18th Jul 2018, 13:50
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should the captain apologise to passengers for bone jarring landing

I was a passenger in a bone jarring landing in a 737. There were expressions of alarm from the passengers at the impact. As an experienced airline pilot on type I could only guess that whoever did the landing seriously stuffed up for whatever reason. As the first officer had made a couple of PA's before the approach it suggested he may have been PF. There were mutterings from a couple of passengers saying they will never fly with that airline again. I must admit I understood their sentiments.

Some would argue it would have demonstrated good manners and diplomacy by the captain if he had made an apology on the PA for the landing with even a confected rather than a true explanation what caused the heavy landing?. Or should he have ignored the obvious concerns of the passengers and cabin crew and said nothing (which he did, anyway). A touch of humility or even humour would have been appreciated and maybe the incident laughed off by some passengers as a one/off event.