PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GA SUMMIT 2018 - RESOLUTIONS
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2018, 07:25
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Horatio Leafblower
It still staggers me that CASA are trying to implement the findings of the Seaview inquiry. That accident happened on 2nd October 1994 and the coroner's findings were released in about 1996. The morphing of Charter and RPT functions, maintenance and administration will result in a further significant decline in GA operations including small operators, small schools and GA small business.
I personally struggle to see a light at the end of the regulatory tunnel. Most days I am not even sure there IS a tunnel.
Horatio,
Actually, what CASA is doing IS NOT what Seaview recommended.

Seaview DID NOT recommend that charter and RPT should all be to the one standard.

Seaview did NOT require that ALL OPERATIONS be to the highest (most restrictive) possible "standard".

What Seaview DID recommend was, in simplified form: If two similar aircraft are sitting side side, about to conduct functionally identical operations, ie: published scheduled passenger transport operations to Lord Howe Island, they should be operated to the same standard, whatever that standard might be.

What CASA is doing is implementing its preferred creative (as in micro-management and control) interpretation, based on the reasonable assumption that most people, including politicians and aviation industry people will not even have read the actual findings, much less understood them.

Another great example of tell the lie often enough, and most people will believe it is the truth.

What you are seeing is the post Bruce Byron era "policy" results, implemented by a crew that took a "day zero" scorched earth approach to anything before Byron's departure date.

And my qualifications for my statement ---- in 1996, I was given a job to do by the then Minister, which was, in part, to implement the Seaview recommendation, so there is at least half a chance that I understand what the recommendations actually were.

Tootle pip!!