PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - from EK .......DEC to RYR
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2018, 18:51
fliion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dubaigong
Fliion ,

In the OMA it states " an aircraft commander may , at his discretion , and after taking note of the circumstances of the other members of the crew , extend an FDP beyond that permitted… "
But we have received an aircrew notice that says " discretion is authorized or rejected by the commander ALONE ( not the co-pilot or the cabin crew ) " which tend to push people to think that the commander can " force " all the other crew members to accept to extend the flight duty.
This is wrong ( according to me )
If a cabin crew member tells me that she/he is not fit enough to perform the extended flight duty how can I decide to extend it ?
And what had happened already a few times is that the captain just announced to the crew that they were going into discretion without asking them how they were feeling !!!
So let say now that an incident or an emergency occurs and the crew fail to respond properly to the situation ; when interviewed by the company/GCAA about their failure to properly respond to the situation they state that they were not fit to operate but the captain force them to go into discretion…
How will the captain justify his decision ?
Bud - I’m not suggesting what is right or wrong, merely trying to establish based on your first post whether you have to “ask” as you mentioned. You do not.

if a captain, for whatever reason, (every skipper/situation different)decides to go into discretion and a crew member is not fit to fly - it’s pretty simple - they can dial 2 there and then or take a seat or call SOS - whatever.

Not judging either way - but I’ll be FC¥€£ed if I’m taking a vote - but hey that’s just me.