PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - from EK .......DEC to RYR
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2018, 15:56
Noleave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chmila
Guys, somebody recently did this move? Could you share some informations. Or PM me pls.
- how was the process
- how long does it take ... from sending application to do SIM to join RYR
- how is training for non type rated .... time, cost, bond
- what chance to get base you looking for /non UK
- monthly net salery (average all incl. +-500eur)

Thank you

PS: I know it is Middle East forum .... I am EK driver and focus in to infos from EK drivers .-), thank you for understanding

Thanks
So I will try to answer as best I can.

I have been at RYR for a year after many years at EK.

From submission of application to the interview was about was about two weeks.

From sim assesment and interview to a job offer was about 5 days.

I got the base i asked for, and would not have left had I not gotten the base I sought. I had other job offers.

You will be offered a RYR contract or a Storm contract. In the former you are a full time employee whereas in the latter a contractor. Basically in the latter you will set up a company, offer services to RYR and get paid per hour. You then claim back expenses that you offset against tax. You will make about 1500 per month more on a storm contract with no employee rights, sick lve etc.

Once you join training takes about 3 months. The training is designed for cadets. It can be very frustrating at times as the trainers are fairly inexperienced. They will get you through a type rating and the company SOPs but there is very little background knowledge to pass on. That said in fairness they are eager to help and in my experience went out of their way to get answers. Basically it’s a regurgitation if manuals. SOPs are very rigid to the point of being pedantic. (More that EK). The training caters for the lowest common denominator.

You will foot the bill for accomodation during training which I was not too pleased about. Cater about 5000STG in all unless you plan to stay in some creaky humid place.

The company culture from the Flt ops management and training management is a breath of fresh air compared to Ek. There is empathy, there is fairness, and contrary to popular belief they are very reasonable. They are also patient, and I have not seen any vindictive streaks. There is a good and healthy safety culture. How it was before I do not know. I do know that when I make mistakes I am definitely more open about it and quite frankly keen to share, something I wasn’t always able to do at EK for reasons that are obvious. There are a lot less Monday morning quarterbacks.

You can expect one month off per year. There is no visibility in how this is allocated. You have a fixed 5 On, 4 Off roster which I find very good. Suffice to say that my days off have averaged 14 per month. You also have 10 days of adhoc leave which you bid for. I have joined them to my days off and have 2 additional periods of 13 off in a row apart from my month off.

You will I’ll work hard. The earlies are tough and often 4 sectors but the 4 days off after are good for recovery. There are no deep nights. Late landings are midnight. Sleep quality has improved tremendously.

You can expect about 6500-7500 after tax on a RYR contract and about 7500-9500 on a storm contract. Assigned Base does alter these figures albeit slightly.

All in all for me the move was positive.

The positives are definitely the roster pattern and time off. The safety culture. The country where i live. Leave is far better than what EK gave me even though I was reasonably senior.

The downsides are the equipment, the costs incurred by the employee such as sim accommodation, uniforms etc, and the salary as well but to a lesser extent.

Hope that helps and best of luck. It’s not for everyone but it’s worked for us.

Last edited by Noleave; 13th Jul 2018 at 20:15. Reason: Typos