PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving BA for low cost
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2018, 12:31
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 169 Likes on 65 Posts
For those interested in LHS part time EZJ and perhaps moving to the regions that is what I am.

50% part time albeit with >10 years in so the full 15% annual loyalty bonus pays about £68k plus 7% basic into a pension. You work 9 days in a two week block that starts Monday and finishes on the Sunday the following week then a fortnight off. You get 14 days leave a year which if you take three or more in one block get two days off wrapped around. I take four three day blocks which equals a week off plus two random days for wedding anniversary’s etc. You get fouR PDO’s which are preferred days off in two day pairs. So four times a year I pick the weekend of the working fortnight and have that off.

So, usually I end up with four “hard months” where I work 9 days. Four “soft months” when I work 9 days but have 3 out of 4 weekends off. Four “easy months” where I work up to 6 days in a 7 day window and have the rest of the month off. I get home standbys and airport standbys just like anyone full time.

We have a preferential bidding system and I bid for all earlies as I prefer to commute to work at 5am in light traffic and can easily sleep in the afternoon.

The share schemes are worth a couple of grand a year even if the share price remained static. My boss is nice to me. When I make a mistake I’m honest about it and the company are supportive. Balpa handle my negotiations. The aircraft are usually less than five years old, the training is fair and the business model and balance sheet look comfortingly robust. Living in the regions mean I have a house that would cost several million were it in the South East of England where I understand it most people do not enjoy both a boating and a fishing lake.

With the political wind blowing in favour of higher taxation and ending higher rate pension tax relief then I suggest earning less but needing less income is the optimal flightplan.