PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accident Loss of all four engines due fuel exhaustion
Old 27th Jun 2018, 12:48
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lead Balloon

While I do see your concern regarding aviation laws in Australia being "Strict Liability", laws, I don't agree with your doom and gloom opinion. As well as my aviation qualifications, I'm also an accountant. Tax law in Australia is also "Strict Liability". So are road rules for that matter. For those unfamiliar with "Strict Liability" laws, the prosecution doesn't have to prove guilt. The burden of proof lies with the defendant to prove their innocence. In other words you're guilty until proven innocent. The point here is there is an avenue to defence. If the laws though were "Absolute Liability" where the prosecution doesn't need proof and the defendant has no avenue to defence I would be up in arms as well.

Australia tends to use "Strict Liability" laws more than most democratic countries. Areas that readily come to mind are Aviation, Tax, Work Place Health and Safety and Road Laws. They tend to be used in areas where a strong deterrent wants to be shown. The merits of this though are for another debate.