PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal accident Loss of all four engines due fuel exhaustion
Old 25th Jun 2018, 21:34
Lead Balloon

Received 446 Likes on 225 Posts
And at some stage this accident pilot, and those that use reserve fuel to extend range, all sit at the controls knowing they haven't got enough fuel to legally continue . Yet they all do. But it's better if that happens towards the end of the flight and not the beginning.
It seems I am part of the minority that does not agree with this.
Could you cite the law that I break if I decide to consume 10 minutes of my planned fixed final reserve? Not interested in Cathay SOPs or Jepps or ICAO. Cite the Australian law that makes it illegal for me to decide to consume 10 minutes of my planned fixed final reserve on a flight from Broken Hill to Tibooburra, rather than do a precautionary landing.

Not interested at this point in your personal opinions about airmanship or your personal opinions about what constitutes circumstances sufficiently extraordinary to justify consuming some of the planned FFR.

Just cite the Australian law that says I can’t “legally continue”.

[F]inal reserve is exactly as it says on the tin. [I]t's your final reserve and should not be touched unless something extraordinary happens.
More solid gold for the Big Book Of Aviation Wisdom Learned Only From Reading PPRuNe.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 25th Jun 2018 at 23:43.