PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Wages
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 04:25
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Bend Alot
  • (e) On each occasion a casual pilot is required to attend work the pilot is entitled to minimum payment as follows:
[11.3(e)(i) substituted by PR503362 from 01Nov10]
  •  
    • (i) for a period of duty (including rostered stand-by) of four hours or less,a minimum payment of two hours;and
      (ii) for a period of duty (including rostered stand-by) exceeding four hours,a minimum of four hours.
    • Is the students instructor required to attend the students solo flight?
Yes, quite. You are correct. I was rushing out the door to go flying.
Presumably the instructor is on the premises and getting paid accordingly... but you would agree that the pay received is not directly related to the duration of the student's solo flight.
Okihara
If an applicant came to my company and said "I have 1500 hours of command time which I paid for myself and I would like a job, please" the answer would be a simple no. I would also be very surprised if any airline's answer would be any different. It's not a matter of hours, champ, it's a matter of EXPERIENCE. The hours, if gained in a commercial pilot context, are indicative (although not always correctly so) of exposure to a certain level and intensity of professional experience.

1500 hours of tooling around at your own expense and to your own devices, outside of any supervision, additional training, professional discipline, without formal guidance and mentoring strikes me as the worst possible gestation for a pilot who would presumably then be seeking a lifetime of employment within a system which has very high levels of supervision, ongoing training, professional discipline, formal guidance, and so on.