PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor Wages
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 00:59
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Horatio Leafblower
1/. Under the award, you are not entitled to claim pay for hours you have not flown. You weren't on board your student's aircraft when they did their solo (I hope).
2/. If a casual instructor is paid something for their student's solo flight time, that's a deal with their employer.
3/. To get an hourly award rate, divide the rates quoted above by Tulsami by 800 and multiply by 1.25
I'm not familiar with that award scheme that is being mentioned here. However from the above I am assuming that 800 is the expected number of hours a year an instructor will clock in. What is the 1.25 factor for?

Doing the math, you find that those lads will earn $43k/800*1.25 = $67 hourly. However I'm more interested in the fact that they'll clock in between around 15-16 hours of flight time a week which seems rather a low figure given that each day has roughly 8-10 hours of flyable time (granted: not in Mebourne at this time of the year ).

If these kids need 1500 hours to qualify for jobs at regionals, that's ~ $300k at the solo rate of $250 and assuming that they obtained roughly 300h by the end of their CPL (wild guess). Of course, I'd advise travelling to South Africa where the solo rate is around half of Aussie ones.

So here's the thing: Instead of spending 1.5 to 2 years instructing (800 hours/year) in C172, wouldn't it be financially wiser to borrow $150k while rates are low, rake in that flight time in a country where solo rates are cheaper within 4-6 months, land that first FO job at a regional and start earning better money faster?

Other option: buy a cheap C152 and do a flight time marathon in it. That's financially probably better that burning cash at a hire rate.

Your thoughts?