PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Kapo System Of Aviation Regulation and CASA
Old 13th Jun 2018, 23:18
Eyrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leadsled, if RAAus and GFA are two of the better we really are in trouble.
In any case why should an Australian be forced to join a private organisation with an effective monopoly so that a government body can get out of its obligations given to it by Parliament?
Then the government body refuses to make sure the procedures and rules of that body are in accordance with Australian law and the norms of Australian society.
You have obviously never had the misfortune to be a GFA member since about 1983 or so. It used to be better but has gone very bad. The parallel paths options was on the table until 2009 when McCormick canned it without notice or further consultation after the job of writing the proposed rules was given to a CASA incompetent (who was an enthusiastic GFA member) who dithered for 8 years or so and wrote 82 pages of amateurish drivel, the only pages of which made sense were " intentionally left blank".
GFA has taken over tow pilot ratings from CASA which means your rating on a PPL is now in the hands of a private monopoly, makes the creation of an alternative gliding organisation impossible and makes unnecessarily difficult the gaining and keeping of such a rating, particularly when compared to the UK who don't even have a glider towing rating because they think any adequately briefed private pilot can do it and the US where 3 launches under observation by a CFI with tow rating or a CFI with glider rating is adequate. From personal experience that works very well. Best tows I ever had were from a bunch of Texas cowboys who hadn't seen a glider before that day. They got briefed and I'm sure the 3 observed tows were contest launches.
I'm looking forward to the next GFA spin in fatality which will likely be a check flight with instructor now that the GFA ops director (38 years working for bank is great for aeronautical qualification) is insisting on full spins for the ANNUAL checks( not every two years like every other branch of private aviation). That's a lot of risk exposure for zero proven benefit.