PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GENERAL AVIATION SUMMIT 2018 - 9th & 10th JULY 2018
Old 12th Jun 2018, 06:47
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lookleft

So where do you put the President of AHIA who is quoted as saying this about CASA : "We are both starting to get a better appreciation for each other's problems. CASA is starting to understand the helicopter industry better and the problems the industry has, both operational and financial. We, likewise, are gaining a better understanding of what their procedures and requirements are, driven largely by legal requirement"(AA P39 June 2018)

So is this a person who has the rose coloured glasses on or has never had to deal with CASA Rampant; or did he work for CASA at one point in his career?

Lookleft,
Do you really mean that we are intended to believe that such a statement as the above is anything more than a carefully crafted political statement from the head of an industry organisation, which has to deal with CASA is it is, and not what they would prefer it to be ---- more like NZ CAA or FAA, or Transport Canada?? And Ministers generally indifferent to the aviation sector.

Indeed, I am well acquainted and have worked closely with some well known members of the AHIA, who have had significant problems with CASA over the years. I have worked quite closely with several Presidents of the AHIA, do you really imagine that a public statement like the above would be the same as their private views??

Whether you wish to believe it or not, my views on CASA and its predecessors are based on direct experience, not some "ivory tower" theoretical position.

In all my years in aviation, in Australia the industry has always been in an adversarial relationship with whatever the regulator of the day was called, with any "win" for the industry seem as a "loss" by the regulator. There has been little evidence, ever, of mutual trust and cooperation for the good of industry advancement, and the Australian economy as a whole.

Consequently, with very rare exceptions, I agree with the finding of the many Royal Commissions and other judicial/semi-judicial/Parliamentary/ other inquiry finding into CASA, including the detailed findings of ICAO and FAA audits (not just the CASA/Government PR on the latter two).

And two exceptions --- I disagreed with the ASRR (Forsyth) report on adding an additional layer of legislation, or a lack of recommendation to amend the Act. I can safely say that, with the value of hindsight, if the ASRR team were writing their final report today, I would not have those two exceptions.

There would be no third tier of legislation, there would be a recommendation for re-writing the Act.

Tootle pip!!