PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do with DEFO who can't fly
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 22:34
cLeArIcE

Received 180 Likes on 58 Posts
This thread made me think about a conversation from a few weeks ago.
I had the pleasure of catching up with a group of old friends from over the years. We had all trained or worked together in some capacity. After a few beers, we started reminiscing about funny stories and some individuals that we knew were never going to "make it" in aviation.
Some were fired for doing incredibly dumb things, some could never pass the exams or flight tests and then there were the ones you wouldn't trust to fly a kite.

What we found incredible was that nearly half of these individuals have been employed by cx as SO's in the last 12 months.

A few in in the group admitted applying to cx simply as a back up to the the other 10 back up plans. We all agreed that hell would need to to freeze over for us to leave our current airlines (mix of LCCS, regionals and mainline) to go to cx. It was all a bit funny until I realised it wasn't.
When I started flying (early 2000s) I would have loved to work for cx. We looked at our friends that made it into cx with envy. We knew that they were the best. Now many of those friends are back working with us. Amazing how things can change in 15 years. I hope it changes back one day.
​​​