PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KLM Pilot jailed in Norway for alcohol intake on night stop
Old 31st May 2018, 18:47
ph-sbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TowerDog
Not sure what drugs you are on Tiger, but if you are still able to read, go back and read it again: Nobody threw the poor guy under the bus.
As for being caught with the pants down, yes, so far it does not look good. I am surprised the official % of blood alcohol is not out yet. It should not take 4-5 days, more like 5 minutes.

The sentence is temporary: You have to have a judge sentence you for more than 3 days in custody. Hence some judge in this case deemed him a flight risk and did a temporary 2 week sentence awaiting trial.
This has been mentioned a few times already. Not sure why you are confused on this?
(If the police could toss you in jail for 2 weeks without a judge involved, you would be in a banana republic)

As for holding an Airman’s Certificate, Yes, got a few of those, been flying commercial for 37 years and had a few situations like the above.
Luckily not on any drugs at all, and I do apologize for questioning your seniority. Your 37 years are way more than my meazly 8.

That said, I reread your comments again. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm reading it as text without intonation, but your writing is received on my end as unnecessary harsh at this time. Even in the post above, you talked about the man being sentenced twice. He has not been sentenced. He is presumed innocent until proven guilty. The only thing that the judge ruled on was that there is sufficient evidence to hold the man while the investigation continues. See also this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remand_(detention)

Originally Posted by Airbubba
The Virgin pilot who was removed from his plane after screeners smelled booze on his breath at IAD was kept in the U.S. because the Loudon County Traffic Court judge considered him a flight risk:
Those are different circumstances. In this case, the British national could have returned home and successfully fight extradition on several grounds, including the U.S. prison standards, unfair trials and unduly hard sentencing guidelines. In the case of the KLM pilot, those arguments will not hold.

As for being caught with the pants down: this is the message I object the most to. He was not caught with the pants down. All we know at this time is that the breathalyzer registered a value which is slightly higher than legally allowed. There are many reasons why this could occur, and there is a reason why a blood test is required afterwards. Even if the blood test shows similar values, there could be medical reasons for the elevated levels of alcohol.

Even if this was caused by willful consuming alcoholic beverages: pretty much everyone will agree that this most likely would not have impacted flight safety in any way. To me it sounds like the equivalent of doing 70 on a 65mph freeway.

I guess that all I'm saying here is: give the man the benefit of the doubt until proven guilty, and don't hang him out to dry as if he was sentenced to life in prison already.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning flying impaired in any way. I don't drink or do drugs at all.