PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding Action - revisited
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2003, 20:15
2Donkeys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avoiding Action - revisited

Had an experience a couple of weeks ago that raised the blood pressure momentarily.

Flying IFR outside controlled airspace and in solid cloud, receiving a RIS from an un-named LARS unit.

The track took me between a big parajump area and a HIRA both of which applied at my level. I would be squeezing between them leaving no more than a mile or three on either side of the aircraft.

With less than 5 miles to run to this little gap, and with no warning the LARS controller broadcast to me:

"callsign, Avoiding Action, left turn 20 degrees. Ermm... to avoid the parachute area".

The area concerned is accurately marked on the GPS and whilst we would have been close to it we certainly were not going to infringe it... and even had we flown straight at it, it would have been a minute or two until we'd entered it... but that's not my question.

I thought that the phrase "Avoiding Action" related only to the need to separate aircraft from one another. I have not heard it used in these cirumstances before. Is it standard or not? My heart missed a beat

Last edited by 2Donkeys; 3rd Oct 2003 at 20:43.